The LGH NOW Campaign
Change is coming to Lions Gate Hospital!
We’re raising $7 million to change the way every person who walks through the doors of Lions Gate Hospital experiences local health care.
To build a new Outpatient Care Centre that will transform the patient experience with a focus on totally patient-centred, individualized care, and a contemporary Atrium – the new heart of LGH.
Click here to watch our video and learn more about our NOW Campaign.
OUTPATIENT CARE CENTRE
More than 20,000 people a year receive vital health services in the Outpatient Care Centre. This centre, located adjacent to the Atrium at the East 15th Street entrance to LGH, houses six critical outpatient programs, including the:
Pre-Surgical Screening Unit – Of the more than 15,600 surgeries performed at LGH each year, more than 8,000 of these surgical patients are seen in the Pre-Surgical Screening Unit. Patients whose surgical procedure involves an overnight stay, or who have pre-existing or chronic health conditions requiring closer monitoring, are seen and evaluated by a team of experts. This unit is critical to patient health and safety.
Joint Replacement Access Clinic (JRAC) – LGH is a national leader in joint replacement surgeries. Last year more than 1,100 people were seen in the JRAC. To date, more than 8,000 joint replacement surgeries have been performed in the JRAC, restoring previously disabled citizens to a full, happy and active life.
Rapid Access Spinal Clinic (RASC) – A vital referral centre for patients suffering acute and chronic back pain, the clinic sees 50 patients a week. Last year, 2,216 people were seen in the RASC.
Forty years ago, none of the services housed in the Outpatient Care Centre existed. It was only as these clinics evolved that LGH developed a way to adapt existing spaces to this purpose. Now, the increase in demand for these vital services has pushed the facility beyond capacity. The time is NOW to build a purpose-built Outpatient Care Centre.
"Our focus is very much on improving the patient's sense of being taken care of in a dignified manner with the least amount of stress possible" Dr. Adam McDiarmid
Plans for the new Outpatient Care Centre at LGH include:
• Patient-Focused Experience. The plan is to create a purpose-built centre featuring double the number of consultation rooms where staff will bring their patients, and where the various medical team members – e.g., lab technician, ECG, anesthesiologist, pharmacist, occupational therapist and physiotherapist – will then go to the patients to provide service. This patient-centred workflow will dramatically reduce the stress on patients and the time they spend in hospital.
• Physical Expansion of the area will provide the additional area needed for a larger, more functional centre.
• Custom Designed Layout that addresses the needs of both patients and staff, including larger consultation rooms and common areas, will improve comfort and access as well as privacy for patients.
• A Central Reception Area will be created to consolidate services (such as admissions). This will help eliminate patient stress and confusion about where to go and improve patient flow through the clinics.
• Double the Number of Consultation Rooms will be created to not only facilitate more patient comfort and privacy, but also to better accommodate patients with mobility issues and those who use wheelchairs.
The Atrium Lobby, located at the East 15th Street entrance, is the main reception hall at LGH.
Built in the 1970s, our current main lobby at LGH is dark, dated and hard to navigate, with a large concrete staircase that dominates the centre of the area and few places for visitors to sit. Today, the current “face” and “heart” of Lions Gate Hospital no longer represents the excellence of care delivered under its roof. Each year, tens of thousands of people (patients, staff and visitors) come through the Atrium.
Plans for the new Atrium include: More Natural Light will be introduced into the Atrium by relocating the Foundation offices. More Open Space will be created by relocating the stairway to one side to link the floors above and below. More Seating Areas to accommodate patients and visitors. Better Wayfinding will be created through well-positioned signage and a well-marked information desk. Redeveloped Entry Vestibule will eliminate seasonal drafts and make the Atrium more comfortable.There are also plans for a new Sacred Space and Healing Garden, and updated Cafeteria and Café.
The Outpatient Care Centre and the Atrium are two of the most visited and publicly visible components of LGH. Individually and together, they represent a dynamic opportunity to not only transform the patient experience and health-care for our community, but also to be recognized for your individual and/or corporate gift.
Lions Gate Hospital Foundation needs your help to make this dream a reality. For more information on how you can help the LGH NOW Campaign, please call 604-984-5785 or go to donate now page.
Go to the Donate Now page and help make a difference for the entire community
If you have any questions or would like more information please contact:
Director, Donor Relations